Second Online Euro-Med Debate Competition, 18-19 & 25-26 April 2020
What is it about?
In the framework of the European Commission’s project Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange, and building up on the successful first edition in 2019, the second Online Euro-Med Debate Competition brings together debate teams from diverse backgrounds and students from higher education institutions to meet online and debate topics of their choice with the support of a resource network of debate Team Leaders, Trainers and Adjudicators.
Debate discussions will be framed around current social challenges and world events such as: the currect global crisis, democratic rights, education, climate change, immigration and power dynamics, amongst other topics.
On 18, 19, 25 and 26 April 2020, participants in the competition will be engaged in intercultural online debates, and will practice the essentials of effective communication, building arguments, listening and rebutting, structuring and presenting of speeches, intercultural awareness, and will be able to enhance their English language skills.
The Team Leader of the winning Team will be shortlisted for the Young Mediterranean Voices Malta Leadership Seminar in 24-30 May 2020,
The winning Debaters will be invited to join the Euromed Debate & Policy Forum in Brussels in 2-5 June 2020,
All Team Leaders and Debaters will be awarded an Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange Online Badge.
Profile of participants:
Participation in the second Online Euro-Med Debate Competition is open to Debate Team Leaders from the Euro-Med region and their local teams.
To participate with your team in the competition, you should fulfil the following criteria:
● Aged between 18-30 years old and national or resident in one of the eligible countries of the project,
● Proven experience as a debater, debate team leader or debate trainer,
● Interest in contemporary Euro-Mediterranean issues,
● Good English speaking skills,
● Ability to train and lead a local debate team.
*In case you have already participated previously in the activity with your team:
● Ability to train and engage a new team in the 2020 Competition.
Steps to join the Online Euro-Med Debate Competition 2020:
If you did NOT participate previously in an Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange Debate Team Leaders Training:
1. Register by 29 March 2020 to join the Training and select “English” and then “Competition” as your cycle. Select one of the available training sessions
2. After completing your Team Leaders Training session, you will be expected to train your team of 6 debaters.
3. You will be contacted to register your Team members in the Online Euro-Med Debate Competition by 5 April 2020,
If you already are a trained team Leader in the frame of Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange:
1. Please express your interest to join the competition with your team by 22 March
2. In case you did not establish your team yet; ensure your local training before 29 March 2020,
3. You will be contacted to register your Team in the Online Euro-Med Debate Competition by 5 April 2020.
If you already have an account on the Exchange Portal and you cannot login/register for a Team Leader Training, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Online Euro-Med Debate Competition is organised by the Anna Lindh Foundation, member of the Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange consortium, composed by: Search for Common Ground, UNIMED, Sharing Perspectives Foundation, Soliya, UNICollaboration, Kiron Open Higher Education, and Migration Matters.
Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange is part of the Erasmus+ programme, providing an accessible, ground-breaking way for young people to engage in intercultural learning. Working with Youth Organisations and Universities, the project is open to any young person aged 18-30 national or resident in Europe and the Southern Mediterranean.