What you need to know for your DiscoverEU travel before you pack!
Last updated on Thursday, 18/11/2021
Europe is packed with people to meet, culture to experience, languages to learn and history to discover. To help you get started, we’re sharing accessible travel tips and practical advice, which will help you on the way.
Before you travel
Reduce the chance of surprises! Try to book your trip in advance so you have time to research accessibility in and around the place you want to visit.
The more organised and prepared you are for your trip, the less stressful it will be because you’ll know what to expect. Have a plan be ready just in case.
Must know-s for your trip
- Make sure you keep your belongings safe and know your passenger rights.
- Look after yourself, bring your European Health Insurance Card.
- Act sustainable, buy a reusable water bottle to avoid excessive waste.
- Take your time, don’t rush everywhere and keep track of your spending.
- And of course, trust yourself, you know more than you think. Meet local people and learn more about their culture, try new food and wander off the beaten track, you never know what you might discover!
Keep it safe
Preparation is key to minimizing risk. Make sure that you research your destinations well, book all your accommodation in advance and keep spare, printed copies of all reservations and other important documents just in case. You should also keep your family and friends informed about your full itinerary so they know where you are at all times. If possible, it’s best to travel within a group of people that you know and trust so that you can look out for each other. Don’t forget to pack a first aid kit too! Most importantly, pay attention to your surroundings and use your judgment when it comes to anything suspicious.
Your documents and checklist
It may not be the most exciting part of the trip, but the paperwork is one of the most important aspects. Make sure you don’t leave any crucial documents at home by ticking them off on our document checklist! Also do not forget to check the A-Z of preparing for DiscoverEU.
Let’s go! Adventure awaits!
DiscoverEU is all about embracing new countries and cultures, stepping out of your comfort zone and trying new things. So why not put yourself to test the steady noise of the wheels on the track, the irresistible charm that comes from sitting next to the window thinking about the mysteries of Universe, the satisfaction of being able to read without getting dizzy?
And you know what they say, the journey itself is the destination, so why not discover Europe passing through some of the most amazing train routes?
Travel info pack at your disposal:
a) A guide to the rules / specifications of DiscoverEU in the form of infographics
- DiscoverEU – the initiative at a glance
- How to book your DiscoverEU ticket
- Which tickets to book (flexible vs. fix)
- How to avoid paying reservation fees
- 5 questions on travelling in your home country with a flexible pass
- Accessible travelling
- Short stay accommodations
- The green route
- Tips for sustainable travel (Go for green! 7 top tips for responsible DiscoverEU experience)
b) Things to see and do while travelling
Guide to provide inspiration for travellers on where to go and what to do like off the beaten path, off-season travel, virtual culture, train trails, etc.
- Cultural Gems
- Terrific train trails
- Intercultural understanding
- 5 reasons to travel across Europe in the autumn or winter
- 5 European cities and towns you have to visit
- Virtual culture
- Traveller challenges
c) Travel hacks
- Top travel tips
- Travel hacks
- Why rail is the best way to see Europe
d) Points of reference
- Facebook group, Europe Direct, contractor’s helpdesk, emergency numbers
- 3 Reasons to join the #DiscoverEU official Facebook group
e) Safety FAQ
f) How to prepare
- A guide with a check-list of things to prepare from A-Z for DiscoverEU
g) Next steps
- How to become a DiscoverEU ambassador
- What to do after your DiscoverEU experience
- How your idea can transform Europe too!